Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dear blog,

I am quite busy, so not blogging often. There is little to note. I do not feel well, with a cold, but no so unwell that I cannot get chemo tomorrow. I am due for chemo on Thanksgiving day. I must decide whether to go short or go long. Pros and cons to each. If I go long, the whole process will run longer as a result. If I go short, I miss the break. Same for finals week. That's the long and short of it.

"...has this experienced changed you perspective on how you want to live your life? Has it affected your feelings about death or changed your opinions about anything like health ins. or capital punishment or anything like that?"

In short, no. I feel like I was living a fairly full life before the risk of truncation became more solid before my eyes. I have been impelled to read a few books I was meaning to read, but nothing other than that. So while many find God or realize they have wasted so much time or whatever, I did not find or realize anything to that effect.

And in regards to health insurance, my opinion has not changed. My personal opinion is that in an era of such abundance: that there should be produced each year enough grain to feed the world; that individuals exist who pay in property tax the net income of entire villages over generations; that even one adult has the liberty to choose to purchase a large house between his other two houses so that he need not stop at a hotel driving from one to the other; in this world, it is unthinkably immoral and corrupt of anyone to believe I should be bankrupt because I rolled unlucky at the cancer craps table. I think it unfathomably disgusting now, now that I am facing the cruel reality of sitting near people whose surplus of wealth would handily end every financial woe I possess, knowing that if I even mentioned the disparity to them that they would merely cough uncomfortably and attempt to part company. I thought it unfathomably disgusting that such pairings existed before I was in one.

Frankly, it's enough to make any upright citizen sick if they think about it long enough. So now, as then, I try not to think about it.

Regards,
Ian Hogan.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't tell if I'm tearing up because your words are moving or because my food is too spicy. I'm going with the spicy food hypothesis. But your words are still moving. now if only they'd move my cat's butt from in front of the computer screen. There we go.

I'm trying to work out how much I can afford to give you. As soon as I do I will.

Sharon S. Hogan said...

I know this is the most difficult thing you have ever been through. I know you will survive and recover. I know you will be strong and healthy again. I hope the time passes without ravaging your spirit too much. Hang in there and ask for help and support as much as you need to. Let us all know if there is anything that they can do for you.

Kristin said...

Ian,
I have to say. I have watched a lot of people go through cancer-more than I would ever want (a result of my profession). And I have never seen anyone go at it like you. You're quite remarkable. Keep fighting. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. In a couple months, this will be something to bolster your resume. "Oh and by the way-I did battle cancer during my last year of grad school. NO BIG DEAL!" You're in my thoughts most every day.

Michelle said...

It is remarkable and wonderful that you are living your life to the fullest, both before and during your battle with cancer. You are an example for the rest of us. I can't wait to see you at Christmas! Love to both you and Vivian!

Kathryn said...

Ian, on top of being a fighter as everyone is mentioning, you're a very witty writer. I really enjoy reading your ruminations. Keep going! I'm thinking about you and Viv and hoping you start moving uphill!!! Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming :)

Lots of Love!!!
Kathryn