Friday, November 2, 2012

Apple Cider

Dear blog,

Obviously, I'm not writing very often these days. This is because I am very tired just about all the time. Earlier in the semester, I would experience, perhaps, four days each two weeks where I could not do very much. Now it is easily working in to the sixth day after chemo that I don't get much done and I never stop being tired. The only thing getting me through now is that the end is in sight.

I just got done getting my fourth to last infusion Thursday. I'm still just about incapacitated. In fact, the only reason this blog is being written is that Vivian has offered to take dictation. I have been exploring potential Ph.D. dissertation advisors at Ohio University and Kent State University. It is not ideal that I should be sick and studying while exploring this but there is no other option. I have narrowed down my possible fields of higher study to topologically driven dynamical systems and characters of finite group representations. The motivation for the latter is that characters of finite group representations have applications in chemistry, which I do not know enough about. The motivation for the former is that there is a large and active research group at the university on the subject.

If Joyce Stock is reading this, Vivian told me about a cake that you make made of layers of thin wafer with some sort of cream between the layers that softens the wafers. I would like this as a get well from cancer dessert. I plan to be in the Cleveland area in late December.

Regards,
Ian Hogan B.S. A.A. C.P.Lf.P.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember having that cake once. It was pretty awesome.

Unknown said...

upon further reflection, I think you should choose to study the topological subject matter, because it's something you've shown a lot of interest in in the past and the present, and it's important to study things you're interested in. Of course, I say this with very little knowledge of topology and absolutely no knowledge of the other subject, which I've already forgotten the name of.

momelliott said...

Ian, I am so glad you are persevering (which sounds more proactive than just "hanging in there")! Way to go, to not only keep doing your daily work, although tired and sick! (It reminds me of what it's like to be a mother in the first year of your child's life. :)

But additionally, you are looking ahead to the future with more advanced learning. Awesome! Serena, the other topic was "Characters of finite group representations". Ian, if that has chemistry applications, would that mean you have to become an expert in chemistry as well? That could be a challenging and time-consuming commitment if, as you say, you don't know much about it.
Thinking about you and continuing to pray for your recovery. (Enjoyed spending time with Vivian and Courtney!)
Love from Tia Maria and Uncle John

Unknown said...

Life sounds rough and busy for both you and Vivian these days. I'm thinking of you guys often I hoping there is something more I could do to lessen the burdens for you.

Kathryn said...

I love you Ian! That was a pretty slick get-well-from-cancer-cake-request! Make 'em laugh, and you're half way to getting what you want, I say.

Your sickness sounds dreadful. I hope hope hope that you are well enough to come to Tiffy's wedding and the sing along. Since you were part of the email chain I feel like you were going to come, but now I'm not sure! You are still in my thoughts and of course prayers.

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun. (I was typing those to the tune in finding nemo but it didn't really come out in the repetitiveness of the words.) Love,
Kathryn