Wednesday, September 5, 2012

$\ iff$ X is compact

Dear blog,

Naturally the title is referring to the fact that ultra-filters converge in compact spaces. (Makes sense right? They're compact. There's no infinity to go to.)

Ok, so most of you aren't mathies. Most of you are interested, perhaps nominally, in my state of existence viz. how many pieces of bad news am I from death; perhaps aesthetically in some sort of well-structured (insofar as none of you realize I'm practically illiterate) prose. Clarification: early one morning I grunted at an old man who had said hello. He asked me if I was 'even alive yet', prolly referring to a lack of coffee. I think I said no, a clever response requiring coffee, but then pondered the question more deeply (while waiting for the pot to fill with coffee). In said meditation, I decided it was possible metrize state of alive-ness by how many pieces of bad news I am from death. The most alive is 3 I think.
1) You have cancer;
2) The treatment isn't working;
3) There's nothing we can do.
Given that I have recently received (1) I rated myself as 2 on the metric.

This is all pretty silly and I'm sure any of you with some thought would come up with far more elegant metrics. I encourage you to do so as an ice-breaker at parties. Anywhat, I think I may be back up to 3 as of today, depending how one reads the metric.

I have received a negative PET scan. (Technical language follows, please skim this bit of wikipedia) What does this mean? Roughly it means that what cancer remains is insufficiently active to make the screen light up. There is certainly still some cancer, potentially alive and weak or too small to register on the scan. Thus I must continue treatment until December as planned.

That's really all the cancer news that's important. On to more frivolous matters. Comments. I got a bunch. Splendid. Better though was that one of them had several questions. Questions are good. Answering questions is fun and easy. I will endeavor to answer at least 1 with each post. If more questions are posed, the rate of answering will increase.

"Like, what all goes on in the chemo room?" Remarkably little, though I suppose answering will end up burning a lot of space. "...the chemo room" is a little incorrect. There is an "oncology and infusion" wing or department or flat, whatever you like. It is attached the the general hospital (ER, crap like that) by way of a hall. It consists of a front desk and waiting room (for when they are full or haven't finished whatever state-mandated prep they have to do in the morning) which is shared with cardiology, and a devoted piece of building with a central, partly open, partly walled room with desks and faxes and the like where nurses sit while they do paper work and scheduling and so forth, some halls around that central room with a few private inspection rooms (or whatever, they have the padded table and that's where the doc feels you up), two private infusion rooms and at least the doctors private office if not a few more offices that I cannot look at because they might be around a corner I have no access to...and a big room with a bunch of chemo chairs and televisions. Certainly more than a kiosk, certainly less than a Sears.

A chemo chair is a well padded chair that reclines quite a lot for comfort with an IV stand next to it. The main room has 6 chairs and two televisions which typically air soaps. A person sitting in one of those chairs is first given a nominal evaluation, blood pressure, temperature and heart rate and is asked if they're feeling alright. If all that is a go, they typically proceed to put some fluids in you by some means for some purpose. Those means are limited (a stick in the arm or a stick in a port), but the purposes and fluids are many and varied. Most of them are blood (supplements to those whose counts are low) and drugs (either to treat cancer to to mitigate the effects of the ones treating the cancer). The IV stand is on wheels because you will have to pee. Not might, will. They not only encourage you to show up as loaded as possible to make it easy to find veins and so forth, but most of the drugs come blended in water which your body decides it doesn't need immediately after sifting it from the drugs.

Anyway, like I said, once whatever treatment is a go you do whatever it is you do to avoid eye-contact with the other ill people with needles leading eerily to tubes and pouches of poison and strangers' blood and such for several hours until you feel like crap and they let you go home. I personally wear ear-plugs to blot out the damn TV and try to study until the chemo turns off my brain (at which point I will continue to be as studious as a gold-finch for 100 hours approx.). The IV machines (they don't drip, they force) beep quite often and nurses bustle out to see why they're beeping. Half the time the machine is claiming "air in line" when there isn't any and the other half they're claiming they're done with the pouch and to please hang up a new pouch. Maybe half of those times they're actually done, the other half the nurse tells it to keep going.

I think that's about it. Until next time,
-Ian Hogan.

8 comments:

Sharon S. Hogan said...

I guess you have lumps of dead lymph nodes in your neck. I guess that's better than cancer. I'm glad and relieved. I would hug and kiss your oncologist, but I am far away. Perhaps you can do this for me?

Unknown said...

Your metric is deeply flawed. The most obvious flaw (to me) is that we can't predict which chain of bad news bits our life will ultimately follow. Theoretically, we're all one piece of bad news away from death, since that news could be "There's been a terrible accident, and nobody survived." Theoretically we're also infinitely far from death, since oftentimes our paths from one end of life to the other are circuitous and confusing and full of sharp turns and misleading stretches of not-quite-what-you're-looking-for. In other words, your little list contains three points, but you've no way of knowing what infinite quantities lie between those three points, or beyond, that could extend or shorten your stay in this mortal coil.

So your measurement of aliveness is as silly as estimating the number of days you are from death - you don't know how many there will be. You might estimate a range of times, but that will be based on assumptions of what causes of death are most threatening to you. At the beginning of this year, if asked to guess at your most likely cause of death, you probably wouldn't have said "cancer". Yet if asked to rank cancer among the threats to your life right now, it would probably rank pretty high. Does that mean you were any closer to death once diagnosed? I think not, except in the sense that time's march inevitably brings us closer to the unknown day of our demise.

It is not bad news that kills us.
If anything bad news prevents our death - after all, bad news bit #1 (You have cancer) led to treatment, which led to good news (the treatment is working). Connecting death to bad news in this way could be tremendously counter-productive - people subscribing to similar philosophies may avoid bad news by closing their eyes or sticking their fingers in their ears, ignoring their pains and lumps and frailties in hopes that if they ignore it hard enough, then maybe what they fear will not be true.

That's silly.

My counter-hypothesis: aliveness is not a matter of degree. There are some extreme situations which make aliveness difficult to determine - situations such as brain death, or the question of whether a fetus is a living human being on equal footing with its mother - but you are very far from any of these extremes. Therefore, you are alive, and the question "but how alive are you?" is meaningless.

It's tempting, perhaps, to hang your vitality on a bit of news, whether good or bad, when you're waiting for that news for a long and suspenseful time. But situations like this tend to inflate the importance of certain experiences and deflate others. Don't get me wrong - it is important news. But it does not determine how alive you are, or how close you are to death.

I'd better stop before I start to loop in on myself.

Kristin said...

Sitting at my job-listening to IV pumps beep and your description is sensationally accurate. Glad to hear the treatment is working!

Unknown said...

I like the idea of coming up with "more elegant metrics" for how close we are to death as an ice-breaker at parties. Definitely sounds better than the over-used 2 truths and a lie.

So is Viv with you in "the Chemo room" most the time, or not? If so what does she do?

Unknown said...

I'm so glad it's working!

Michelle said...

Hey!

Great post, as usual. I especially enjoyed the description of how you are "studious as a gold finch" for 100 hours after chemo. It's too bad to have yor brain adled but the image of you sitting with at vacant but content bird expression is very amusing. :)

I appreciate Serena"s analysis of the aliveness scale question. I also would love to see people's reactions if you brought it up at parties. Personally, I take a more cliched approach and think of "aliveness" in terms of awareness and present ness in the moment. I'm sure that some people are the most "alive" they will ever be in the days or moments immediately preceding their death. It's cheesy perhaps but im reminded of the country song , "live like you are dying"

Michelle said...

My darn smartphone cut me off. Humph. Well, I was just about done, but I wanted to ask, has this experienced changed you perspective on how you want to live your life? Has it affected your feelings about death or changed your opinions about anything like health ins. or capital punishment or anything like that?

Kathryn said...

Good to know that you like getting questions. I'm a professional question-asker!

I'm wondering if you can expound on the social dynamic. I'm surprised there are others in the room "getting chemo" at the same time! Would you/do you/why don't you ever talk to them? Can you listen to a book on tape or an ipod?

And I'm also really curious what the "feeling" is in your mind as you get to that poing of not being able to study. Does it feel like being high? Do you get drowsy and sluggish or are you alert?

By the way, have you spoken with Abuelito about his chemo experience? He's only had two; they're on Wednesdays. The second was worse than the first but he has a pretty plucky outlook. Runs in the fam :)
Good luck with your next treatment.