Monday, July 16, 2012

Return of the Poison

Dear blog,

I biked to my second chemo session today. I had been feeling about 80-90% of normal for the last 5 days about of the first two week period. I could do sedentary activities without any symptoms, and walk without symptoms, but more serious exercise had a cap well below my usual ability.

My white blood count is low. I will have to take neulasta, an injection to stimulate production, tomorrow. I will get it after my port consultation at 2:15 PM. I decided to get a port after two of my veins failed to make a good IV site despite what appeared to be perfectly expert administration by the nurses. Let's be honest; setting IVs is their business, and if they had that much trouble after one cycle, I'll go ahead and do the surgery.

And I biked home. I'm pretty fatigued. The doctor said fatigue would tend to build. That makes sense. If I started the last treatment at 90 and I start this one at 80, then I'm bound to bottom out lower this cycle than last. I'm going to see if avoiding the anti-nausea at night helps me not lose sleep later in the cycle. I guess I didn't blog that bit. After the big sleeps died off, I actually had a lot of insomnia, which I blame on withdrawal from the drowsiness inducing anti-nausea.

So I have my protein shakes and iced-cream all ready, and turkey and mayo so I can make bland high protein sandwiches when I have limited appetite and potentially mouth pain later this week. If you're a turkey and mayo kind of person, I insist that you are bland. Bland bland bland.

With great piquance, if only in spirit,
Ian Hogan.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos to you for exercising while being poisoned. If you let me know what brand(s) of protein shakes you like I'd be happy to get some for you when I come down to visit. Love you guys! I look forward to seeing you soon.

Unknown said...

I do like turkey and mayo, but I tend to put them together with lettuce, cheese, pickles, peppers, or something else that has vitamins.

Michelle said...

I cheer for your piquant spirit!