Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cancer

Dear blog,

Today is Wednesday. Last Wednesday I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. I have had it for over a year.

People are curious about the changes involved, and some want to be updated about future changes that will happen in the future. After-all, the future is where we will all spend the rest of our lives. Many folks think they know best about these things and have informed me that I should create a website through such and such and take this and do that and blah blah. I will do what the oncologist says, with the possible exception of skipping the anti-nausea drugs if they make me lose focus. Otherwise, why create a new device for relating change when life is change and I already have such a vessel?

I will post changes here, where change is the status quo and those interested may follow. I have an appointment with an oncologist next Monday, June 4 at 9 A.M. at Holzer Clinic, at the end of the bike path in Athens, Ohio. He will likely schedule me for CT scans of roughly everything to determine the spread of the disease. After that he will probably prescribe combination radiation and chemotherapy.

I will spend the summer sick and tired, practicing Algebra, guitar, piano and German, to help prepare for spending the fall semester sick and tired; teaching 1.5 times as much as a result of the quarters to semesters switch; and taking Algebra, Analysis and Coding, 6000 levels all.

Til Birnam Wood,
-Ian Hogan.

1 comment:

Evan Young said...

Lit a candle for you at church Sunday. Thinking about you both today.